Check in here for updates on all the latest Jackrabbit notices and activities.
- Welcome back!
- I was thrilled to see so many jackrabbits and bunny rabbits at the Silver Spoon! We have left over peanut-free Mars Bars for anyone who didn’t get one at the Silver Spoon.
- A quick reminder, if you haven’t already removed the Klister, make sure you do so tonight so you don’t have to worry about it tomorrow!
- Current forecast says actual temperature will be -10C, with a wind that can make it feel like -14C. Make sure your child is dressed in layers, with face covered, warm hat, warm mittens, and extra mittens in your pack.
- Make sure your kids are well fed, hydrated, and have gone to the bathroom before coming to jackrabbits.
- Again, warm socks, synthetic or wool, no cotton!
- No nuts of any kind due to the prevalence of serious allergies.
- Bunnyrabbit coaches have had a bit of bad luck. I’m still recovering, though my range of motion has vastly improved. Nitaya fell on the ice Thursday and cut and possibly sprained her thumb. so we’re quite the team… We’re planning on staying a bit closer to the Chalet. We can play some games that will help with side-stepping, star-turns, and ready stance. We’ll see how everyone’s doing. We’ll want to stay in the windbreak of the trees.
- Coaches, several students and parents are away at Cubs Scouts’ Winter Camp this weekend. This includes Raymi, Kit, Xavier, Kai, and my husband, Ted.
- Paul Chiasson, my brother-in-law, will be in or near the Chalet for any first-aid assistance.
- Jen Bergevin will be serving Hot Drinks.
- There’s a chance others will miss jackrabbits if they’re going to any Winter Carnival activities in the same time-slot.
- Please let coaches know if your child will be away tomorrow!
- Looks like we’re expecting some fresh snow too!! Woo-hoo!!!
- and in case you missed Steve’s email, Level 4s will be skate skiing, good to have skate-ski length poles, but don’t worry if you don’t have them, they’ll begin without any poles.
- If you have any questions please call me!
- My home number is 613 584 4255
- My cell is 613 602-5881
- I feel like I’ve forgotten to mention something…
- See everyone tomorrow at 1:30 pm!
- Kathryn Chiasson
While we do have to cancel lessons again, due to the recent heavy rains, flash freeze, and tomorrow’s forecast of -19C with windchill -33C for the “high”, I’d like to float the idea of a Meet & Greet inside the chalet .
Nitaya, Melissa, and I will be there to meet & greet any Bunnyrabbits and new older beginner jackrabbits and their families at 1:30 p.m. tomorrow if there’s interest. PLEASE RSVP by replying to my email or calling me at 584 4255.
We can take a look at your child’s ski equipment for proper fit, the kids can decorate their rental skis and poles that will help them get used to the idea of this new strange stuff, as well as hopefully make it easier to spot your child’s rental skis and poles when they’re all side-by-side in the racks next to identical sets.
We can also go over how to choose and apply ski wax, what ski skills we’ll be working on. We’ll also have a few fun games or crafts to introduce terms like “pizza”, “french fries”, and fall & rise.
I’ll suggest the bunny rabbits could wear their regular winter boots, so we can try on the new boots indoors, it will also give us an opportunity to talk about wool & synthetic socks, never cotton socks! and how to dress in layers, what sort of materials work well. Also, I think it might be a good idea to have them try standing in ready position, snow plow, parallell just in regular footwear.
We’ll also probably have pizza, depending on numbers and feedback from families who plan to attend, I’m open to other suggestions too to accommodate allergies. As far as I know, none of the Bunnyrabbits have any food allergies, but out of 34 jackrabbits, we have 5 registrants with anaphylactic allergies, including a couple with dairy and egg allergies, but most are nut, tree-nut, sesame, walnut, cashews, hazelnuts, and of course peanuts.
This is a totally optional event, but please reply if you plan to attend and how many?
Coaches and assistant-coaches, likewise, please let me know if you plan to join us, but it’s not mandatory.
I’m also looking at how close we are to the Silver Spoon on January 27, and I’d like us to get a good turn out at the Silver Spoon, so we’ll also be chatting with the new jack rabbit families about that. All jackrabbits including Bunnyrabbits are automatically registered for the Silver Spoon mass start, it’s a just for fun all ages xc ski race event held at St Mary’s School, here in Deep River. Families can ski together for the mass start especially for the younger ones.
Looking forward to hearing from you, let me know as soon as possible whether you plan to attend and how many.
Home Tel 613 584 4255
Cell 613 602 5881
Also, I would like everyone’s cell phone numbers please so I can have an emergency contact list when we finally do get out on the trails. Please send me a private email with your cell phone numbers.